16 Jan Benefits of Drinking Water
If someone asks me what my favorite drink is, I instantly scream “Water!”. I seriously love water. When at restaurants, I order water. If a drink comes with my meal, I get water. If you give me the choice at an event where food and drinks are provided, I still get water. In my defense, I grew up drinking water. My family was never big on drinking sodas or Kool-aid or anything like that so it’s natural for water to be my choice of drink.
In addition to the tastiness of water, there are SOOOOOO many health benefits by drinking it. I know for some of you it will be hard to give up your sodas, juices, coffees, or whatever your choice of drink may be. You can still drink your calorie and sugar filled drinks, but I would like for you to make water your primary choice. I’ll list out the benefits for water and when you read them, trust me, in the long run, you’ll thank me.
1.It’s better to eat your calories than drink your calories
If you’re trying to lose weight, chances are you’re eliminating fried and fast foods you’re eating more fruits and vegetables and you’re baking and grilling your food. However, if you’re still drinking coffee and sodas, you’re not being as healthy as you think. The quickest way to decrease your caloric intake is by cutting out sugary drinks. The less calories you drink the better.
2. Assister in weight loss
Water helps with your weight loss by filling you up quicker. If you drink plenty of water throughout the day and drink water with your meals (in between bites if you can) you will “fill up” quicker. As stated before, water has zero calories meaning that your calories are solely coming from your food NOT drinks.
3. Keeps you hydrated
I don’t care how many sodas you drink or how much Starbucks you get a week, these drinks aren’t keeping you hydrated. A quick tip for checking to see if your body is hydrated is by checking your urine. I know I’m not the only one who looks at their urine after they pee (you don’t have to lie). If your urine is darker in color this is your body telling you to drink more water and if it’s lighter in color, then you’re fine. The lighter the urine, the more hydrated you are, but if it’s nonexistent, you may want to drink something other than water to keep it at a light yellow.
4. Keeps your skin looking radiant
Lots of sugar and unhealthy foods or drinks can cause you to develop acne. No one wants to have mountains on their face, so to keep your face beautiful and smooth, drink more water.
5. Plenty of health benefits
We all have known someone who has had kidney stones and let me go ahead and tell you that they didn’t get them from drinking lots of water. If you’re someone who drinks everything under the sun other than water, I’d advise you to get on the water-drinking train. We don’t want you developing any health issue due to lack of water. Water helps flush out the bad toxins in our body that our kidneys help remove.
Regardless of what you believe, caffeine drinks DO NOT give you energy. They will give you a short burst of energy and once you come CRASHING down, your body craves for more—this is a never ending cycle. To eliminate this cycle of going nowhere, drink water. Water keeps you hydrated and will have you feeling rejuvenated. All I need is a bottle of room temperature Dasani water and I’m up jumping and ready to go.
7. All around, it makes you feel better
If having more energy, being healthier, being hydrated, limiting your caloric intake, losing weight, and having radiant skin doesn’t motivate you to drink water, then you are a lost cause. Work on your body while you’re young so you can enjoy the finer things when you’re in your free spirit years.
Quick tips for making water drinking easier and apart of your lifestyle
- I always keep a case of water beside my bed for when I’m thirsty in the middle of the night and also so I’ll know to grab a bottle or two when I’m heading out for work
- Find a TYPE or BRAND of water you prefer. Dasani is my preference and next up is Aquafina or any purified water. –Contrary to what people believe, ALL WATER DOES NOT TASTE THE SAME. There IS a difference in purified, spring, and distilled waters. Choose one to your liking.
- The more expensive the water does not mean the better tasting it will be. CVS water is delicious, so if you’re on a budget then opt for store brand waters.
- Take water to work with you. It’s easy to grab coffee because someone made it, but if you bring your own bottles of water to work, you’ll be a happier more energized YOU.
- Leave bottles of water in your car in case you forget to grab one on your way out the door therefore, you won’t be tempted to detour to Starbucks.